P 646 328 0783
F 646 328 firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Baltimore, Graduate Tax Program (LL.M., Taxation) 1996
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., with honors) 1990
- Toras Moshe Institute (Talmudic Law and Hebrew Letters, magna cum laude) 1986
- Partner, Venable
- Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- Non-Profit & Tax-Exempt Organizations
Awards and Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Rating in Labor & Employment Law
Professional and Community Activities
- Maryland State Bar Association - Chair of the Tax Book Committee, Section of Taxation & Special Committee on the Revised Uniform Partnership Act
Louis Barnett Barr
Louis is a tax attorney with a focus on employee benefits and executive compensation.
Louis advises public, private and tax-exempt entities with respect to the full range of issues in establishing and operating employee benefit programs (including qualified and non-qualified deferred compensation plans, welfare benefit arrangements, severance agreements and equity compensation incentive plans) and counsels fiduciaries with regard to the investment and management of plan assets. He also represents tax-exempt organizations (such as charities, foundations, educational and health organizations as well as trade associations) in connection with qualification for and preservation of tax-exempt status, private foundation rules, intermediate sanctions and unrelated business income tax.
Building on his experience with ISDAs as pension and endowment investments, Louis also works with SWA’s derivatives and energy clients and negotiates ISDAs for financial and physical commodities, related credit support documentation, other master trading agreements for energy products (NAESBs, EEIs) and Renewable Energy Credit agreements.
- Conducting a compliance review of a publicly traded company’s existing equity compensation program (with particular focus on Internal Revenue Code Section 409A) and working with the client on necessary adjustments to the equity compensation program consistent with its business, tax, and accounting objectives and with the required proxy disclosures.
- Providing tax and ERISA consulting services to a Fortune 100 insurance and financial services company, including, assessing the qualification, tax, and ERISA considerations of implementing a long-term disability product within 401(k) plans.
- Counseling a pharmaceutical cooperative regarding the formation of a tax-exempt affiliate to sponsor an ERISA qualified multiple employer welfare arrangement with health programs eligible for preemption of state mandated coverage laws.
- Representing a national tax-exempt organization with regard to executive compensation issues including an audit by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Drafting and negotiating employee benefits and ERISA provisions in connection with the spin-off of and sale of unique business line of a publicly traded company, including incentive and termination programs for executives critical to the successful transition to the new ownership structure.
- SWA advises Panoramic Power on its sale to Centrica for $60m
- IFLR1000 ranks SWA for M&A in Israel
- SWA advises Intellinx on its sale to Bottomline Technologies Inc.
- SWA advises MobileSpaces on its sale to Pulse Secure for $100 million
- SWA advises BuyCode Inc. on its sale to Slyce Inc.
- SWA advises Mad Mimi on its sale to GoDaddy
- SWA advises Green Smoke Inc on U.S. Employee Benefits Issues for its Sale to Altria
- SWA advises Omek Interactive on its Sale to Intel Corporation
- Employer Notice Requirements under ObamaCare – Deadline Approaches
- Avoiding Unwanted Tax Results When Awarding Stock Options
- Don’t Get Caught in 409A Tax Trap – Year End Deadline Looms
- Renewable Energy Credits: Representations and Warranties Every Buyer Should Ask For
- New Effective Dates Set For ERISA Disclosure Rules
- Supreme Court Expands Scope of Deferential Review of ERISA Plan Administrators’ Determinations
- “Understanding the value of Employee Benefits as a tool to attracting, recruiting and retaining U.S. employees” at an Israel Export Institute seminar.