Richard Levitan Counsel
Practice AreasReal Estate
Richard is Counsel at SWA and specializes in a diverse range of corporate and real estate matters.
Working both in private practice and in-house gives Richard an unparalleled depth of insight into corporate and real estate issues facing clients today.
Before joining SWA, Richard spent eight years as General Counsel of Asbury Partners, LLC, a subsidiary of iStar Financial Inc., which offers real estate development and management services. He also served as Assistant General Counsel, Corporate and Real Estate at International Specialty Products, a specialty chemicals company.
During his tenure as in-house counsel, Richard focused on general corporate, real estate and contract matters, and was involved in all significant company transactions as well as corporate strategic planning, litigation and risk management, and contract disputes.
- New York University School of Law (J.D.) 1992
- Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania (B.S., Economics cum laude) 1987
- Moore School of Engineering, University of Pennsylvania (B.A.S., Computer Science cum laude) 1987
- General Counsel, Asbury Partner, New Jersey
- Assistant General Counsel, International Specialty Products, New Jersey
- Associate, Riker, Danzig, Scherer, Hyland & Perretti, LLP, New Jersey
- Associate, Lowenstein Sandler LLP, New Jersey
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Advising on all the legal matters for the redevelopment of the 50+ acre Asbury Park, New Jersey waterfront redevelopment project. This included all corporate and real estate matters, finance/debt restructuring and litigation management.
- Overseeing of all legal aspects of real estate related matters, including property acquisition and disposition, office, warehouse and retail leases, development agreements, land use matters, construction contracts, as well as agreements with engineers, architects, brokers and other professionals.
- Negotiating and drafting a wide range of commercial contracts, including agreements in relation to purchase, supply and distribution of goods and services, joint venture, professional services, technology license and sharing, equipment rental, entertainment and marketing, employment and severance, confidentiality and other contracts.
- Advised executive management in connection with all legal matters, risk management issues and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.