- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property & E-Commerce
- Private Equity
- Defense & Aerospace
- Investment Funds
- Labor & Employment
- Real Estate
- Corporate Tax
- Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- Non-Profit & Tax-Exempt Organizations
Labor & Employment
Whether you are a small start-up or a large corporation, the relationship between you and your employees is a major factor in the success of your business. At SWA, you benefit from connecting with lawyers who combine their depth of labor and employment knowledge with specific industry experience to ensure that your business functions smoothly and efficiently.
Plugged into the heart of your business, we support corporate clients on the employment aspects of their day-to-day operations as well as on their significant transactions. Our highly qualified lawyers bring to the table considerable experience spanning a number of industries including healthcare, media production, high-tech, telecommunications, software, insurance, energy, publishing, investment banking and more.
Clients benefit from our wealth of experience in drafting, developing and implementing employment policies under local, state and federal law, including the impact of any changes in the laws. We regularly provide counsel in relation to the layoff and downsizing process, as well as avoiding any claims in relation to discrimination, unfair dismissal or breach of contract. Employers have confidence in our capability to draft key contracts and agreements with key executives, high-level employees and independent contractors while also developing tailored non-competition, non-disclosure and non-solicitation agreements to protect them.
Engagements Have Included
- Advising clients as to whether particular individuals should be classified as employees or independent contractors, exempt or non-exempt, and preparing relevant agreements.
- Developing employment-related agreements for key executives, support staff and administrative employees, including offer letters, employment contracts, non-disclosure agreements, incentive plans, employee handbooks and employment policies.
- Accommodating employee disabilities and religious practices, monitoring of employee internet use, establishment of paid time off and business expense policies, and managing termination of employees.
- Reviewing and evaluating employment-related documents for purposes of merger and acquisition transactions; advising clients as to continuation or termination of employees upon closing of such transactions and exposure pursuant to such transactions.
- Directing corporate clients as to proper interview and hiring procedures under U.S. law.